Avoiding Digital Disasters
This web-site was created after I lost my personal web-site project due to my computer error. Believe me--taking time to back up your data is a critically important thing to do.
This link has excellent information on backing up your computer data: http://www.archives.com/experts/macentee-thomas/do-you-know-where-your-genealogy-data-is.html
Make a list of the data you have stored on your computer:
- Do you have this data stored in another location?
- What would it do to your life to lose this data?
Create a Personal Back-up Plan:
- Identify the data (files, photographs, emails etc. etc. etc.) that you need to back up.
- Clean up your computer files and folders.
- Create a formal back-up plan that suits your needs.
- Write your plan down and prioritize the steps.
- Make the time in your schedule to complete these steps.
- Obtain any needed hardware, storage media or software you want to use.
- Make sure you understand how your automated or online back-ups work.
- Back up some test data and then retrieve the data. Can it be easily retrieve in a useable form?
- FOLLOW THROUGH WITH YOUR PLAN! I have learned that it saves me a lot of time if I keep notes about what I do each time I back-up.
- Schedule regular times to update your back-up files. Consider using some sort of automated back-up either on an external hard drive or online. Schedule time to perform the back-up on your calendar and keep the appointment with yourself!
- Make sure your plan includes keeping your back-ups current with new file formats and technology.
Dropbox and Similar Programs:
I personally use Dropbox (dropbox.com) to sync my files between computers. This gives me the additional benefit of storing these files in “the cloud.” I spent several hours searching reviews for online syncing and/or back-up programs. The general consensus was that Dropbox was the most straight forward, user friendly of these programs. Other programs to consider are:
I Drive http://www.idrive.com/
Amazon Cloud Drive (https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/learnmore)
There are many more programs available.